The Mat-Su Borough School District has temporarily suspended all military recruitment in Valley schools. This comes one day after the Anchorage School District’s decision to halt military recruitment on its campuses.
In a press release issued Tuesday afternoon, Mat-Su Borough School District spokeswoman Catherine Esary says that the decision is a result of allegations of past misconduct by Alaska Army National Guard recruiters in Anchorage. Documents pertaining to those alleged incidents, as well as many others, were leaked earlier this week.
Mat-Su Superintendent, Dr. Deena Paramo, says that the district is reviewing its protocols regarding military recruitment. Paramo says that, while the district “values its partnership with the military,” the safety of students is the highest priority.
Military staff who recruit in Mat-Su schools have been contacted, and there is currently no estimate for when recruitment will be allowed to resume.






