by KTNA Staff ~ October 23rd, 2012
by Talkeetna Historical Society
The Talkeetna Historical Society has completed the purchase and installation of a three hundred foot, cedar, split-rail fence at the Belle’s Barn Historical Site in downtown Talkeetna.
In 2002, the Historical Society purchased the 1.09 acres which is located near the end of Main Street in order to preserve it as a permanent green space in the Historic Downtown area. The property is the site of the historic horse barn used by Belle MacDonald for her freighting business in the early 1900’s. Because this is an important part of Talkeetna’s early history, it is included as part of the Historic District Walking Tour of Talkeetna. The Belle’s Barn Site also includes signage to identify the trees and other natural plants along the walking trail.
The newly installed fence, which was made possible in part by a $500.00 grant from the Jessica Stevens Community Foundation,
helps to distinguish the west property line and to prevent any motor vehicle traffic onto the greenway which was detrimental to the natural landscape and the visitor’s physical safety. Future plans include the stabilization and preservation of what remains of Belle’s Barn, erecting a shelter, and rehabilitation of an area of landscape along the Walking Trail previously damaged by motor vehicles. The Talkeetna Historical Society is a non-profit organization and is pursuing additional grants and funding to hopefully complete their final plans for Belle’s Barn Historical Site next summer.